Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hand signals

I love YouTube. You can find anything and everything you seem to need. Like anything on the internet, you have to do some homework to find out if something is legit. This trainer makes the hand signals seem so easy, I was sure his dog had done this hundreds of times. Surprisingly it went about as easy as his video shows.



Benelli caught on fast and is getting pretty dang good with her hand signals. At a park or ball field she'll go out to about 40 yards, I don't think I'll focus on much further than that. I was surprised how quick she learned, within a week she was running. As the video shows, the next step is to start adding distractions and make sure she realizes she goes where I tell her to, not where she wants to. The fact that she'll do this consistently without her e-collar is encouraging.






To get her to go 100% of the time where she is sent to I'll use this drill below. It's time to start clamping down again and really enforcing the obedience as it is almost time! I'm headed out of the state labor-day weekend for some birthday early season goose slaying.



2 comments:

  1. Benelli has turned into a pretty awesome dog! Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Wish I had some more time to spend working with her.

    ReplyDelete